Friday, October 7, 2011

Catching Up: Fri. October 7 aka Today


Train blogging again!  We are…. Actually I have no idea where we are at this point, only that we're more than halfway to London.  This morning we had as lazy a morning as possible, not bothering to hit up breakfast.  We did have to be out of our rooms by 10 but at least we could leave our stuff in the lobby for a few hours until it was time to go.  Somehow we got the idea into our heads that we wanted bagels for breakfast, since we knew we'd be hitting up a coffee shop for it.  On all our walks we'd seen a place called Elephant and Bagel which is a sister café to the J.K. Rowling one and that became our destination for the morning.  We however did not quite remember how far up it was, it was slightly further than we remembered.  However, the bagel was delicious and a welcome change to pastry.  Afterwards, we made use of our bus passes from yesterday to go on a tour of Edinburgh.  It was fun but nothing special at that point because a lot of the sights we'd discovered on our own.  If I were visiting again, I'd do it on the first day to provide almost a primer to the city that people could then explore more on their own.  At least it wasn't raining though, today is actually the best day we've had since we got here.  After grabbing our stuff back at the B&B we piled into cabs for the last time to the train station.  I had a sneaking suspicion that we'd get quite good at getting all of us into cabs, getting them paid for, doing it all efficiently, etc and it proved correct; all was done with no hassle in a way that seemed almost practiced.  I once again am riding backwards towards our destination but I'm on the coast side of the train again.  For a large part of the ride I've been kicking myself for packing my camera away in the overhead shelf.  It's much cleared out today and the views are even more spectacular if that’s possible.  The ocean definitely looks like the Atlantic and seeing it dotted with the occasional lighthouse is a comforting sight, I'd imagine the one in OOB looks similar this time of year.  With the clearer day we've been able to make out some more details along the coast, including some huge manor houses, tiny ancient abandoned ones, lots and lots of sheep, and cows (sorry, still no belted galloways).   Even now as I write this, I'm looking out the window as my fingers fly over the keys; I don't want to look away for a moment and will just fix the typos when I get back to the flat.  I think that's all for now, so I'm going to close the laptop and focus all my attention on the countryside flying by. 

=====================

The rest of the train ride passed painfully slowly but passed none the less.  By the end all of us were ready to get off and get home.  Personally my ipod died and I finished all the work I'd brought with me, making me a wee bit stir crazy.  All in all though, wasn't too bad.  A quick bus ride, thank you 214, got us to what has quickly become our new home.  I emptied my backpack (what I'd packed in this week) and headed off to the grocery store with a friend.  Since we were gone no one had any perishable food left. 


No comments:

Post a Comment