Sunday, November 27, 2011

You should be writing.... oh wait, that's me

A week seems like a reasonable period to be blogging about, its also more interesting that working on my dissertation.  It's really hard to write with everything broken up into chunks like this but at the same time its not really feasible to do my usual writing strategy of sitting down close to the deadline and writing straight through - 8,000 word minimum sorta eliminates that option.

Happy belated thanksgiving to everyone!  The actual day was fairly uneventful here.  We did a holiday meal with the other people on the floor last weekend with turkey and all the fixins so there wasn't much enthusiasm or need to do it all over again on Thursday.  I however was bummed that cranberry sauce appeared to be nowhere to be found.  A tip from a co-worker had me back at the grocery store on thanksgiving through, turns out it comes in a jar vs a tin here, and is with the mustard and tarter sauce in the store.  Eventually I found it and that, along with some apples in cinnamon&sugar provided enough Thanksgiving for me.  Even so, it was definitely weird to not be with family this week.

Work continues per usual, little of interest there.  It is slightly shocking to realize that there are only 6 days left in my internship though.  The time is flow by and I haven't quite had time to figure out how I feel about it all coming to an end.  School is also winding down in terms of how many classes we have left.  Yet this means it's picking up in terms of other work.  Finals are fast approaching and with it the due date for the dissertation.   The amount of time spent on schoolwork has increased accordingly to essentially all the time one is not sleeping or at work.  It is a tad frustrating because I'd really like to be out enjoying London and the people here in the little time I have left and yet I'm constantly trying to write.  Also, for me this counts not only as a 'real' class when I get back to NU, but it goes towards my GPA.  This is not the case for everyone, some people need only complete the assignment to get a pass that doesn't count towards their GPA, and the levels of work to fun correspond accordingly.  That's it for now, although I'm sure I forgot some along the way, perhaps I'll be back later as another form of procrastination but if not, have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment